UN Women is the UN organization dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women. A global champion for women and girls, UN Women was established to accelerate progress on meeting their needs worldwide.
UN Women supports UN Member States as they set global standards for achieving gender equality, and works with governments and civil society to design laws, policies, programs and services needed to implement these standards. It stands behind women’s equal participation in all aspects of life, focusing on five priority areas: strengthening and implementing global norms and standards on gender equality and empowerment of women; increasing women’s leadership and political participation; enhancing women’s economic empowerment; ending violence against women and girls; engaging women in all aspects of peace and security processes. UN Women also coordinates and promotes the UN system’s work in advancing gender equality.
UN Women Nordic Office, located in UN City in Copenhagen, works through on-going dialogue, lectures, public events, private sector partnerships and outreach to keep governments, parliamentarians, private sector, media and other partners informed about UN Women’s work and its essential role within gender equality and women’s empowerment. The Nordic Office also co-operates closely with sister UN organizations, national and international organizations in the Nordic region.
The internship will start 01 August 2019 and end 31 January 2020. Under the supervision of the Director of the UN Women’s Nordic Office, your main duties are:
- Carry out national political surveillance on issues related to the work and mandate of UN Women and report on relevant developments in government policies in the respective countries;
- Monitor national media in Nordic countries on issues related to the work and mandate of UN Women and report on relevant media coverage, including sending out a bi-weekly news update;
- Assist in identifying opportunities for UN Women cooperation with the private sector;
- Translate and distribute corporate updates, statements and press-releases through national media outlets and write executive summaries on relevant documents and reports;
- Support in the preparation and coordination of high-level visits of UN Women officials to the region, including drafting of briefing notes and talking points for UN Women officials;
- Support communication efforts and organize outreach activities with private sector and foundations, and set up meetings and events to promote and improve UN Women´s private sector cooperation;
- Participate in, and provide input to, joint advocacy and communication activities with UN sister organizations;
- Host visits and present UN Women to students and other visitors;
- Handle inquiries from students and the public;
- Any other duties as required.
– Completed at least two years of undergraduate study;
– Be currently enrolled in a university or graduate school or have attended courses in the past 12 months;
– A strong command of written and spoken English;
– Preferably excellent written communication skills in a Nordic language.
The internship is full time. You must have full insurance coverage during the entire internship and provide evidence of this. Note that the internship is unpaid.
Send your application in English consisting of a CV and a cover letter (preferably in one document) to Maare Käis (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than 17th of March 2019.
Please mark the subject of your e-mail and application: Internship Fall 2019_Your Name_Your Country
Interviews are scheduled to take place in the beginning of April. Please note that we are unfortunately not able to respond to each applicant individually. If you have been chosen for an interview, you will be contacted directly by us.
For more information on UN Women please visit: www.unwomen.org